oru.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Tongue-tie releaseDoes the patient-experienced benefit differ depending on the symptoms before the surgery?
Örebro University, School of Medical Sciences.
2020 (English)Independent thesis Advanced level (degree of Master (Two Years)), 20 credits / 30 HE creditsStudent thesis
Abstract [en]

Introduction: The most common symptom of ankyloglossia is breastfeeding problems. Lately, more attention has been given to problems beyond infancy, like with speech and mobility. There is limited research done in that area though, and there is no research made comparing indication groups with each other.Aim: To investigate if there is a difference in the self-experienced benefit of the tongue-tie release, in relation to the indication for cutting the tongue-tie.Methods: A retrospective survey of all patients who underwent a tongue-tie release in Örebro county under a period of two years. The patient, or their caregiver if the patient was under 18 years old, were contacted for a telephone survey. 73 patients completed the survey.Results: The results demonstrated no significant difference in self-experienced benefit between the indication-groups. 88% of all patients included in the study experienced benefit, 98% of these patients had a primary (n=57) or secondary (n=6) symptom that got better. The remaining 2% (n=1) experienced benefit despite any symptom relief because of the possible future benefit. The 12% that did not experience benefit did not experience any symptom relief from the surgery.Conclusions: The self-experienced benefit after the tongue-tie release was high in general, without differences between the indication-groups. It turned out to be important to ask for other symptoms than just the primary to see the whole picture. More research with a larger study population is encouraged.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2020.
Keywords [en]
Ankyloglossia, tongue-tie release, children, breast feeding, speech
National Category
Medical and Health Sciences
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:oru:diva-81561OAI: oai:DiVA.org:oru-81561DiVA, id: diva2:1428525
Supervisors
Examiners
Available from: 2020-05-05 Created: 2020-05-05 Last updated: 2020-05-05Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

fulltext(514 kB)10 downloads
File information
File name FULLTEXT01.pdfFile size 514 kBChecksum SHA-512
07e8699e80bf40b6df8b02123fa2a33861741b502c7d6232e2a1876192c78483f9e85d7364c569e4eb9f306bc2d3c95b3e905e85d73be7de631bbd3ae53111b2
Type fulltextMimetype application/pdf

By organisation
School of Medical Sciences
Medical and Health Sciences

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar
Total: 10 downloads
The number of downloads is the sum of all downloads of full texts. It may include eg previous versions that are now no longer available

urn-nbn

Altmetric score

urn-nbn
Total: 15 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf