oru.sePublications
Change search
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf
Adolescent girls’ and boys’ well-being in relation to online and offline sexual and romantic activity
Center for Child and Youth Studies, University West, Trollhättan, Sweden .
Örebro University, School of Law, Psychology and Social Work. (Center for developmental research)ORCID iD: 0000-0001-7456-2397
Center for Child and Youth Studies, University West, Trollhättan, Sweden .
2014 (English)In: Cyberpsychology : Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace, ISSN 1802-7962, E-ISSN 1802-7962, Vol. 8, no 1, p. Article 7-Article in journal (Refereed) Published
Abstract [en]

The aims of this study were to determine links between adolescent’s well-being and their sexual and romantic activities off- and online. The study includes 245 mid-adolescents (15 years of age; 55 % girls) and 251 late-adolescents (18 years of age; 49 % girls). Of the 496 teenagers, 54 % had experiences of both online and offline sexual and romantic activities, while the remaining (46 %) had only offline experiences.

Teenagers’ experiences with online sexual/romantic activities were associated with experiences of offline sexual/romantic activities. Multiple regressions showed that age (older) and risk behaviour contributed to higher engagement in offline sexual/romantic activities. In contrast, only higher risk behaviour contributed to higher engagement in online sexual/romantic activities for boys, but for girl several factors, such as age (younger), lower body esteem, higher risk- and problem behaviour contributed to higher engagement in online sexual/romantic activities. We discuss this result from a gender perspective.

Place, publisher, year, edition, pages
2014. Vol. 8, no 1, p. Article 7-
Keywords [en]
sexuality; online; offline; adolescence; well-being
National Category
Psychology (excluding Applied Psychology)
Research subject
Psychology
Identifiers
URN: urn:nbn:se:oru:diva-34446DOI: 10.5817/CP2014-1-7Scopus ID: 2-s2.0-84897102675OAI: oai:DiVA.org:oru-34446DiVA, id: diva2:708170
Funder
Forte, Swedish Research Council for Health, Working Life and WelfareAvailable from: 2014-03-26 Created: 2014-03-26 Last updated: 2017-12-05Bibliographically approved

Open Access in DiVA

No full text in DiVA

Other links

Publisher's full textScopus

Authority records BETA

Skoog, Therése

Search in DiVA

By author/editor
Skoog, Therése
By organisation
School of Law, Psychology and Social Work
In the same journal
Cyberpsychology : Journal of Psychosocial Research on Cyberspace
Psychology (excluding Applied Psychology)

Search outside of DiVA

GoogleGoogle Scholar

doi
urn-nbn

Altmetric score

doi
urn-nbn
Total: 323 hits
CiteExportLink to record
Permanent link

Direct link
Cite
Citation style
  • apa
  • ieee
  • modern-language-association-8th-edition
  • vancouver
  • Other style
More styles
Language
  • de-DE
  • en-GB
  • en-US
  • fi-FI
  • nn-NO
  • nn-NB
  • sv-SE
  • Other locale
More languages
Output format
  • html
  • text
  • asciidoc
  • rtf